The final decision whether to use expanded polystyrene (EPS) or other alternatives such as corrugated paperboard (CPB) as packaging material boils down to four interrelated critical factors:
EPS protective packaging is light, strong, and effective in protecting a wide range of products. EPS packaging reduces breakage and the total weight of waste disposed as compared to other alternatives:
- Ability to be molded and/or cut into complex shapes.
- High compressive strength at low density
- High dynamic stiffness
- Good thermal properties
- Low thermal conductivity
- Low thermal expansion
- Structurally stable between -311F and 187F
- Excellent durability
- Low water vapor diffusion and water absorption
- Resistance to a wide range of chemicals and other media
- Resistance to biological attack
- Flame and smoke retardancy
- Very low weight after molding
- Approved by FDA for food containment
- Low freight costs due to low, uniform package weight
- Excellent product protection due to high energy absorbance when dropped or under heavy weight
- Vibration free packaging of even awkwardly shaped goods due to accurately shaped moldings
- No contamination of sensitive products by dust
- Time saving because of easy handling
- Protection against heat and cold due to good thermal insulation properties;
- Rain-proof and dust-proof due to closed surface and suitable closures;
- Safe stackability, not only in the warehouse but also during transit.
To view our Green Packaging Page CLICK HERE
To download our White Paper on Green Packaging, CLICK HERE
MORE ABOUT PACKAGING:
Packaging customers across the county depend on PermaTherm to get products to market and into the hands of their customers safely and cost-effectively. The fundamental objectives of transport packaging materials are to preserve and protect the product from damage through the shipping dock of the manufacturer to delivery to the end user.
Choosing the right packaging material requires a balance of many factors, including ease of handling and storage, weight, cushioning characteristics, manufacturing efficiency, ease of identification, cost, and special customer requirements.
PermaTherm produces some of the highest quality Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) material to be found. Our Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) cutting equipment will precisely fabricate nearly any desired product shape.
Design and distribution requirements for transport packaging are more demanding today than ten years ago. Two major factors dictate – commercial globalization and e-commerce. With these changes, small parcel distribution is becoming more common.
Packaged products encounter a variety of hazards during handling and transportation. Humidity, temperature extremes, pressure changes, compression, shock and vibration are the most important ones.
Cushioning properties are determined based on their ability to provide the necessary protection in terms of inputs such as shock (impact) and vibration. The shock resistance of EPS will depend upon the density and thickness of the foam. EPS foam can absorb impacts efficiently and recover its physical shape quickly, making it ideal for packaging fragile items within a wide range of weights and sizes.
EPS protective packaging, foam in place packaging, and other custom packaging, offer a broad range of physical properties to allow packaging designers to meet the many challenges of protection and distribution. These properties, in combination with appropriate engineering design considerations, provide the design flexibility required to create truly cost effective protective packaging. For More Info CONTACT US>>